When you have a week of snow days – we went to school on Thursday only last week and that was only for 5 hours – you have plenty of time to make your own art. I managed to finish this series of prints of jellyfish. I ordered some new ink before the snow days, thankfully, and two of the colors I picked out glow in the dark. I decided jellyfish would be an appropriate experiment and theme for this new ink. This was a tricky and time-consuming print with two plates and a background rolled with blues and silver ink. I am happy with the end result and will be donating this particular print to a silent auction in March.
Since this year’s Valentine’s Day cards are already in the mail, I decided to upload this early. This year I decided to do several variations on the print. One set was my multi-cultural set with different shades of browns for the paper. I used a variation of hues for the ink – red, magenta, and silver. The silver ink was very interesting to work with – for one, it smells quite a bit like a permanent marker, and two it takes a great deal more drying time than the other non-metallic inks. The end effect of the silver ink on the maroon and dark brown paper showed wonderful contrast.