We went out to a birthday dinner with my mom at Cosi Cocina’s and had a delicious butternut squash soup. This soup is my version or interpretation of that soup. It is a perfect fall flavor soup with the heartiness to make it a meal. It is vegetarian and even could be made vegan with a simple swap of the dairy for a non-dairy milk. I would opt for a coconut milk or coconut creamer, for the best flavor and consistency. To really cut corners, and make a fast meal, one could easily use a can of cream of potato soup instead of the potatoes and the dairy.
We hosted a belated party for my mom on Saturday night at our house. We were expecting 17 people total, so I doubled the recipe to make 2 crock pots of this soup. It paired perfectly with dinner rolls and we even had a little left over.
The soup’s vegetables are potatoes, onion, garlic, butternut squash, and celery. Did you know that you can use the base of a celery bunch as a stamp to create flower designs? I am going to attempt this craft with Greta’s help. I will show you the results, promise.
We had a very full house. My mom is at the head of the table here, enjoying her milestone birthday I asked people to bring haiku poems to share with my mother in honor of her birthday. We collected them in a blank book. My directions were not entirely clear and everyone thought they had to write the poems themselves. Whoops! She is holding a beautiful quilt made by a friend, Fern. The quilt’s pattern followed a haiku structure – 5 blocks, 7 blocks, and 5 blocks.
All I can say is thank goodness for friends, family, good food, good times, and folding tables!
Cream of Butternut Squash Soup – one very full slow cooker
1. Cut 1 butternut squash in half. Remove seeds and roast at 350 degrees for 35 – 40 minutes or until soft. Allow to cool. Cut cross hatched lines into squash, remove flesh with spoon.
2. In a medium saucepan over medium heat, saute, 1/2 yellow onion, diced until soft. Add 2 minced cloves of garlic, saute another 2 minutes. Put onion mixture into slow cooker. Add 6 cups of vegetable broth. Turn slow cooker on high.
3. Peel and dice 3 large baking potatoes. Add to slow cooker. Add 6 sliced stalks of celery to slow cooker. Mix in 1 can of butternut squash puree. Add salt and pepper to taste. Put lid on slow cooker and cook on high for 4 – 5 hours or low for 6 – 7 hours, or until potatoes are soft and tender.
4. Once potatoes are cooked, add butternut squash chunks from 1/2 of the roasted butternut squash. Add 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon and 2 tablespoons maple syrup, stir.
5. In the last 5 minutes before serving, stir in 2 cups cream, half-and-half, or coconut creamer and 1 tablespoon tomato paste.