They are easy to make up quickly from scratch, especially since they only require 6 simple ingredients – buckwheat flour, baking powder, cinnamon, eggs, applesauce, and water.
These are nice and fluffy pancakes. If you like your short stack on the thinner side, omit the baking powder.
Gluten-Free Buckwheat Apple Pancakes – makes about 12 – 13 3-inch pancakes
1. In a medium bowl combine: 1 cup buckwheat flour, 1 teaspoon baking powder, 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon.
2. In a small bowl combine: 2 eggs, 1 cup unsweetened applesauce, and 1/2 cup water.
3. Make a well in the dry ingredients, add liquid ingredients, and combine with a few swift strokes. Batter will be lumpy. Allow batter to rest for 10 minutes while pan or griddle heats up.
4. Pour 1/4 cup of batter per cake onto hot and greased griddle or pan. Cook about 2 minutes per side, or until edges are dry and centers are bubbling.
5. Serve with topping of choice.