Christmas 2017 is over, and while I’m usually feeling blue about this fact, this year I’m staying positive. My kids have been delightful, and I’m savoring every holiday moment with them. They helped decorate the tree, decorate cookies, helped shop for family members, helped wrap gifts, helped clean, and generally helped by being loving and in the holiday spirit. So, now that we are all sugared out, I had to break out something else for bowl game season. Go Hawks! Bean dip has always been one of my favorite snacks, and it’s no secret that I can finish off an entire bag of tortilla chips on my own, so this was a no-brainer.
My cooking has never been very precise, instead it’s based on what I have, what sounds good, and what people in my house will eat. With that in mind, I have images with ingredients and the steps. Swap out whatever sounds good and change proportions/sizes as needed!
In a bowl, mix together 1 can refried black beans, 1 can whole black beans (rinsed), and 1 can fire roasted diced tomatoes. Spread smoothly into pan. Sprinkle Mexican seasoning on top, to taste. By the way, I just found three of these cheery Dansk baking pans, in yellow, at a thrift shop today for under $20!
Spread corn and choppedblackolives on top, next. I used about ¾ of each can.
Next, chop 2 avocados and sprinkle with lime juice. Layer on top.
Smooth sourcream over the top and sprinkle with shreddedcheddar cheese. I used most of a 1 lb. container of sour cream and an entire bag of shredded cheese.
Then, I sliced 4 small jalapeños and spread them out festively. These are the not-too-hot variety. I brought in my jalapeño and habanero plants before the first frost and they are thriving in the southern sunshine of my art room/office.
Best Bean Dip
1. In a bowl, mix together 1 can refried black beans, 1 can whole black beans (rinsed), and 1 can fire roasted diced tomatoes. Spread smoothly into pan. Sprinkle Mexicanseasoning on top, to taste.
2. Spread corn and choppedblackolives on top.
3. Chop 2 avocados and sprinkle with 1-2 tablespoons lime juice.
4. Smooth about 1 lb. container of sourcream over the top and sprinkle with 1 bag of shreddedcheddar cheese.
5. Optional, thinly slice 4 small jalapeños and spread over the top.